Below is important information about passport and visa requirements. For more information about passports and other identity documents, please contact your local authorities.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT UNACCOMPANIED MINORS: If you're the parent or legal guardian of an unaccompanied minor, you must always show a valid identity document at check-in regardless of destination.
If you're traveling to, from or via the US, please keep the following things in mind.
- Do not lock your bag. If your bag is locked and needs to be broken open by the authorities, you will not be compensated for the damage. If you want to lock your bag, we recommend using a TSA lock which is approved for use in the US.
- Carrying hazardous substances in your baggage is a punishable offense under American law.
Canada has introduced a new entry requirement, Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), for visa-exempt foreign nationals traveling to or via Canada by air. US citizens and travelers with a valid visa are excepted.
Apply for your eTA no later than 72 hours before departure. The eTA is valid for a maximum of 5 years or until your passport expires. To be allowed to board your flight to Canada, you will need to travel with the passport you used to apply for your eTA since the eTA is electronically linked to it. All travelers are responsible for ensuring they have an eTA. Find out more and apply
Make sure you have the right documents to travel in Europe.
Traveling in the Nordic countries
- Nordic citizens don't need to carry a passport when traveling within the Nordic countries (Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Norway excluding Svalbard and Iceland). However, you must always be able to verify your identity upon request.
Here are some things to keep in mind when traveling to Great Britain.
- All airlines must submit APIS (Advanced Passenger Information) for passengers traveling between Scandinavia and Great Britain.
- You'll need to provide information from your passport or national identity card when you check in online, at a kiosk or at a counter
- If you check in online or on your phone, you still need to register passport information when you check in your baggage. If you're traveling with only a carry-on, you need to register your passport information at a SAS Self-Service kiosk at the airport.
If you travel to, from, within or via Russia, you need to undergo an extra passport and visa check. Please also be aware that extra passenger information is required when you book your ticket.
Passport and visa
- You need a valid visa to enter Russia, even if you're only transiting. This must be acquired in advance since you can't apply for a visa when you arrive in Russia.
- Before you leave, please ensure that you have arranged the following:
- You must have a valid passport that is 100% intact and contains a passport photo
- Your visa must be valid on the day that you arrive in Russia and must be inserted in a valid passport
- Your gender, date of birth and passport number must be correctly stated on your visa
- You can use your visa more than once
- You must have travel insurance (requirement for citizens from Schengen countries and Israel)
- If you have applied for a visa for more than 3 months, you must show that you have undergone HIV testing
- If you're staying at a private residence in Russia, you must have an official private invitation issued by the local passport and visa unit (OVIR).
- If you're staying at a hotel, the hotel can arrange for an invitation.
- Make sure your travel dates in your visa are correct. If your visa has been issued with the wrong travel date, you may be denied travel to Russia on SAS.
Rest of the world
When you travel outside of the Schengen area, you need to carry the documents required for entry into each respective country.
- Examples of required documents:
- Contact the respective country's embassy for more detailed information before your trip.
Traveling to China
For international flights, please ensure you have the documents required for entry into the countries you're traveling to so you can prove your citizenship. These documents may include:
- Departure permits
- Vaccination cards